The Belmont Food Collaborative is advocating to create a community farm in Belmont. Let us know what you think about it and if you want to help us try to make it happen.
What is a Community Farm?
A Community Farm is a community based farm where residents can go to learn about and enjoy food, farming, and nature; and a place where food is grown for the community.
Every community farm has a slightly different focus, but there are some common features that most community farms share: they are usually run by a non-profit organization for the benefit of the community and operate at no cost to the community.
What community farms offer
- Increased contact with how our food is grown and harvested
- Hands-on education, volunteer, and recreation programs
- Local food for the community.
- Donations of local food to our food pantry
- Makes the landscape of a working farm accessible to residents of all ages and abilities.
- Preserves open land
- Sustainably cares for the land
- Connects a community to the land to nature and to food
- Teaches children where their food comes from
- Connects us with Belmont’s agricultural roots.]
- Good for our environment
- Provides recreation for children and adults and is for EVERYONE in the community.
Towns near Belmont with community farms
These towns all have community farms. Find out about them, and help us create on in Belmont.