Volunteer opportunities Can you help with watering and weeding? No experience is needed.
- Details and signup for working at the Rock Meadow garden
(here’s a map)
- Details and signup for working at the Beth El Temple Center garden (here’s a map)
- General volunteering: if you’re not sure what you want to do, get in touch with us and we’ll figure something out together.
The job: Water and weed the garden 2–3 times a week, for a one-week period at your convenience. It should take between 1.5 to 2 hours in the garden each week, broken up over different days.
Tending the garden is a great activity to do with kids, or if you seek the peacefulness of a garden. It provides a very concrete way to experience the growing of food and sharing the harvest with others in need while enjoying the peaceful setting of Rock Meadow.
We will provide instructions, tools, and hoses in the garden.
Working together, we can help the Belmont Food Collaborative provide nutritious vegetables for members of our community in need through the Belmont Food Pantry.
Here’s how the project has grown:
- In 2012, we experimented by growing produce in someone’s front yard. It worked well, so we decided to expand.
- In 2013, we built four raised beds at the Beth El Temple Center in Belmont.
- In 2014, the Belmont High School Garden and Food Justice Club added beds at the high school.
- In 2015, we added a bed at the Belmont Victory Garden at Rock Meadow.
- In 2016, we donated 235 pounds of produce to the Belmont Food Pantry from the gardens at Beth El Temple Center & Rock Meadow.
See our blog posts about Community Growing.